Simple Tips to Keep Ahead of Summertime Storms
Summertime in Kentucky brings fun, sun and lots of time on the lake but it can also bring some pretty strong storms. Here at SERVPRO of Marion, Adair & Russell Counties we want to make sure you stay prepared for these storms so you can keep your family safe.
Before the Storm
- Build an emergency supply kit and make sure you have a communication plan.
- Unplug any electronic equipment.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- If you are outdoors, get inside a building, home or hard top vehicle.
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades or curtains.
During the Storm
- Use your battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio for updates.
- Avoid contact with corded phones. Cordless/cellular phones are safe to use but it's a good idea to store a battery-operated phone charger in case power is out for a while.
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Unplug appliances and electrical items, like computers. Power surges from lightning can cause serious damage.
- Avoid contact with plumbing. Plumbing and bathroom fixtures can conduct electricity.
After the Storm
- Never drive through a flooded roadway.
- Stay away from storm-damaged areas to keep from putting yourself at risk from the effects of severe thunderstorms.
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them immediately.