House Fire Prevention
Each year from November to January, SERVPRO receive an influx of regarding smoke and fire cleanup. You may be being careful about the risky items or places in your home that could cause fire, but you may not realize some items could turn into an issue. Here is a list of some of the top causes of home fire losses-
Lighters: If there are children in the home or who visit often, it is best practice to store these items in a safe, high place to prevents any accidents from happening.
Fireplace: While fireplaces are built to vent smoke outside, it is important to burn the correct type of wood, or else you could experience fire flare-ups or smoke escaping into the home.
Stove: This is the highest risk and most obvious item in your home by far. The key to preventing any issues is by making sure it is always turned off after each use, and to also not leave it unattended if it is still hot/warm.
Small Appliances: Most kitchens have small appliances other than the stove. These appliances can also catch on fire, or cause surrounding items to catch on fire. While it is tempting to leave these items plugged in, it is important to make it a habit of unplugging them.
Candles: This household item can cause issues when left lit and unattended. It is easy for a lit candle to be forgotten about, and items set nearby that can quickly catch on fire. Make sure to also extinguish the flame when leaving the room, and also when sleeping.